• By clicking below, I consent to receive telephone calls and text messages from Ayers Career College containing information at the number above about their programs. I understand that the calls and messages may be initiated with automated equipment and that I am not required to provide this consent to be eligible to enroll.
1-800-317-0131 / info@ayers.edu Request Info

Why Do I Need an EPA Certification?

by on September 23rd, 2011 in Heating & Cooling Training

More and more businesses are requiring an EPA Certification to qualify for their positions. Having the certification is also a federal requirement.  Those who go through the EPA process gain a better awareness of the many laws and rules that come with handling HVAC chemicals.

There are several different categories of certifications-EPA Section 608 Technician Certification, EPA 609 Technician Certification, R-410A Technician Certification, Indoor Air Quality Certification, PM Technician Certification, and Green HVAC/R Certification.

Which certification you have will determine which appliance you are qualified to work on. Each certification is given by passing the EPA exam. You can choose to take one test for a specific certification, or pass all three be certified to work on every type of appliance.

What Does Each Certification Mean?

The EPA Section 608 Technician Certification is the only section that has different types to choose from. You will need this certification to be able to work on building air conditioning and refrigeration systems.  This section offers 4 certifications types:

Type I Certification– Persons who maintain service or repair small appliances must be certified as Type I technicians.

Type II Certification-Persons, who maintain, service, repair or dispose of high or very high-pressure appliances, except small appliances and motor vehicle air conditioning systems, must be certified as Type II technicians.

Type III Certification-Persons, who maintain, service, repair, or dispose of low-pressure appliances must be certified as Type III technicians.

Universal Certification-Persons, who maintain, service or repair both low and high-pressure equipment, as well as small appliances, must be certified as Universal technicians. (Type I, Type II, and Type III Certifications)

The EPA 609 Technician Certification is necessary to able work on Motor Vehicle Air Conditioners, and also allows refrigerant purchases.

The R-410A Technician Certification is available for those who are already EPA Section 608 Certified. Technicians should already know the basics of air conditioning-refrigeration system installation before taking this training.

The Indoor Air Quality Certification gives technicians the ability to service, clean, and inspect the HVAC’s system.

The PM Technician Certification is only available to Section 608 certified technician. It contains all areas of acid and moisture detection, water removal, coil maintenance, and more.

The Green HVAC/R Certification is not an EPA required certification, but is becoming more of a desire for many technicians because of the increasing demand for environmentally smart HVAC technology. This certification teaches how energy conservation can be used in the heating and cooling industry.

Some Of The Companies That Hire Our Graduates Include